Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 6 AKA: There's Such A Thing As Too Many Cookies

Today's class was a disaster.

I've never been a fan of working in groups. Especially groups that were chosen randomly.

I'm going to make this short. I was the makeup person today. My job was to take the batter from the mixer and scoop it into uniform sized cookies onto the baking sheet to hand to the baker so he can put it in the oven. I did a fine job. All my cookies looked uniform and my biscotti logs were ok. They could have been shaped a little better, but for my first attempt, it wasn't that bad. I even cut my own pattern out into a heart so I could make cute sculpted tuile cookies.

But that's when things went downhill. I don't like to blame people for things very often, but our baker totally dropped the ball tonight. He did not pay attention. He never prints out his recipes and relies on the rest of us for the formula or bake times and temperatures. I found myself saying "I don't know" a few times when he asked me how long they should bake. Of course I knew, but this kid needs to stop relying on everyone and take charge of his own responsibilities.

Long story short, our biscotti was overbaked, our flourless chocolate chewies were burnt, and my precious, delicate tuile cookies were set on fire and blackened because our baker walked away from the oven. Tuile cookies cook in literally 2.5 minutes.

If all went well, I'd be telling you I was proud of the following:

Coconut Triangles
Tuile Cookies
Spritz Cookies
Biscotti
Flourless Chocolate Chewies
Sugar Cookies (which I cut into hearts and did not have time to ice because by that time it was 10:30 and class was over)



No comments: