Friday, June 24, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

School has only been out for less than a week and I'm totally missing it. So I woke up this morning and decided to make something - ANYTHING - to keep me busy. I bought a bunch of rhubarb at the farmer's market and I had about a pound of strawberries in the freezer, so I thought "hey! let's make some jam!"


The recipe is super easy. Here it is if there's any interest. 

Ingredients:
2 cups rhubarb that has been thinly sliced

2 cups of fresh strawberries also sliced

2 tablespoons of lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon salt

5 cups of sugar
*
1 package of fruit pectin



In large pot, combine all ingredients except the sugar. Cook over high heat until mixture comes to a full boil. Add sugar and keep stirring. Be sure sugar dissolves into the mixture. Return to boil and boil for one minute. Don't forget to keep stirring to avoid sticking and lumps, etc. Remove from the burner and skim off the foam with a spoon.
Spoon the hot jam into hot (preferably half-pint) canning jars. Leave 1/4 inch of space at the top. Wipe the jar rims and adjust the lids. Place the jars in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes - remember that time begins when the water begins to boil. Remove the jars from canner and cool on racks.
This should make about 6 half-pint jars.

*I used about 3 1/2 cups sugar and it seems to be just enough sweetness


No comments: